The Alfa Romeo P3 was the first genuine single-seat Grand Prix racing car.
After initially using their ‘Monza’ racing cars (SHX3007) for the first half of the 1932 Grand Prix season the P3 was introduced by Alfa Romeo in June, winning its first race at the hands of Nuvolari - the Italian GP at Monza. After this victory the Tipo B was commonly called 'P3', in recognition of being a worthy successor to the victorious P2, eight years before. The P3 also went on to win the French and German GP’s in 1932 at the hands of Nuvolari and Caracciola respectively.
The Alfa Romeo team withdrew from racing in 1933 leaving the Ferrari team to represent Alfa Romeo for 1933 with its ‘Monzas’. After Ferrari failed to score with the ‘Monzas’ Alfa Romeo finally released the P3’s to Ferrari in August 1933 in time for Chiron and Fagioli to dominate the end of the season with 3 victories each.
The 1934 Season saw the arrival of the silver arrows in the form of the mighty Mercedes and Auto Union teams. The P3 did take notable victories at the Monaco, Tripoli and French Grand Prix’s before the German cars true dominance prevailed.